Perhaps one of our oldest clients, in the literal sense, the Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club (known as Wolves) were one of the original clubs to join the English Football League in 1888; and now, they compete in the English Premier League.
Two years ago, in January 2019, Wolves launched their app with us. There are so many things that we love about this app, such as the sheer number of augmented-reality experiences that we have launched in collaboration with the team.
The Wolves app has a significant focus on content and on video, including a Spanish radio feed that lives on the home-screen of their app on match days.
A few weeks ago this season, they launched Wolves TV, a beautifully-designed video hub within their app, tapping into a well of rich OTT content. The hub is well-organized, with the videos laid out in collections — documentaries, interviews, highlights, boxed sets. The video-card thumbnails are visually striking and on brand.
The Wolves TV hub includes:
- Extended highlights for every Wolves match.
- Goals, Goals, Goals — a section solely focused on goals scored by Wolves.
- Player interviews after match wins, e.g., individual interviews with Neves, Moutinho, and Vitinha after the win against Arsenal.
- Old Gold Club — Classic boxed sets, reliving Wolves’ history, certain to be of interest to lifelong fans.
- Highlights filtered by favorite players, where you can simply tap on a player’s image to go straight to a curated list of that player’s videos.
- Nuno’s Top 10 moments — big wins, pitch invasions, European adventures.
- The Titan of Tepeji — A Raúl Jiménez documentary, featuring his early years in Mexico.
- Introductions to the Wolves’ eSports team players.
- The first team training before matches.
The Wolves TV hub is an indispensable way to showcase the team’s players, highlights, history, behind-the-scenes training footage, interviews, and special documentaries. All in one place, organized, curated, and easy to navigate.
What a fantastic way to use the app to bring such rich content to fans!
“We’re always looking for more engaging and visually striking ways to tell our stories to supporters. Yinzcam’s CMS and recent update to card templates gave us almost limitless options when designing this new hub for Wolves TV. This whole section of our app took less than an hour to create without the need for any developer input. We’re really pleased with the result and the bespoke design we were able to achieve, reflecting the unique qualities of our content.”
— Richard Pepper, Head of Digital, Wolves
Here are Russell Jones and Richard Pepper of Wolves, talking about their app and how they’ve been driving innovation in mobile team apps.